is an Australian architectural
critic and head of department and Professor of Architecture and Urban Design at the University of Melbourne, 
, teaching urban design theory.
He received degrees from Curtin University and the University of Melbourne in Australia and a Phd from the University of California, Berkeley, USA. Dovey has been a Visiting Professor or Visiting Scholar at Berkeley, the Bartlett (UCL) London, City University of New York, the University of Minnesota and University of Nottingham.
Selection of writings by Kim Dovey
- Fluid City: Transforming Melbourne's Urban Waterfront, London: Routledge, 2005.
- Framing Places: Mediating Power in Built Form, London: Routledge, 1999.
- "Home as Paradox" in: G. Rowles, & H. Chuadhury (eds) Home and Identity in Late Life, New York: Springer, 2005, pp.361-70.
- "The silent complicity of architecture". In J. Hillier & E.V. Rooksby (eds), Habitus: A sense of place. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002, pp. 267-280.
- "The Aesthetics of Place". In B. Cold (ed), Aesthetics, Well-being and Health: Essays within architecture and environmental aesthetics. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2001, pp. 93-101.
- "On Politics and Urban Space". In J. Barrett & C. Butler-Bowden (eds), Debating the City: An Anthology. Sydney: Historic Houses Trust of NSW and University of Western Sydney, 2001, pp. 53-69.
- Jacobs, J., Dovey, K. & Lochert, M. "Authorizing Aboriginality in Architecture", in L. Lokko (ed), White Papers, Black Marks, Chichester: Wiley, 2000, pp.218-35.
- Dovey, K., "Aboriginal Cultural Centres", in S. Kleinert, & M. Neale, (eds), The Oxford Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000, pp. 419–423.
- Stevens, Q. & Dovey, K., "Appropriating the Spectacle: Play and politics in a leisure landscape", Journal of Urban Design, 9 (3), 2004, pp.351-65.
- Dovey K. & Dickson S.N., "Architecture and freedom? Programmatic innovation in the work of Koolhaas/OMA". Journal of Architectural Education. 2002, 56(1):5-14.
- Dovey K. & Sandercock L. 2002. "Hype and hope: Imagining Melbourne's Docklands". City. 6(1), 2002, 83-101.
- Sandercock L. & Dovey K.G. 2002. "Pleasure, politics and the 'public interest': Melbourne's riverscape revitalization". Journal of the American Planning Association. 68(2), 2002:151-164.
- Dovey K., "Memory, Democracy and Urban Space". Journal of Urban Design. 6(3), 2001, 265-282.
- Dovey, K. "Memory, Democracy and Urban Space: Bangkok’s Path to Democracy", Journal of Urban Design, 6 (3), 2001, pp.265-82.
- Dovey K., Fitzgerald J.L. & Choi Y., "Safety Becomes Danger: Dilemmas of drug-use in public space". Health and Place. 7:2001, 319-331.
- Dovey, K., "Redistributing Danger: Enclosure and Encounter in Urban Design", Australian Planner 37(1) 2000, 10–13
- Dovey, K., "Myth and Media: Constructing Aboriginal Architecture", Journal of Architectural Education 54(1), 2000, 2–6